Sunday, August 5, 2007

In the last month, I have read The Watchmen, Fray, Making Comics (Scott McCloud), and Perspective! For Comic Book Artists (David Chelsea). In the meantime, my voice has gotten lower, I've grown man-boobs and my Evangelion anime figurine collection has exponentially grown.

Quick, someone resuscitate me with a Paris Hilton CD.

--

My solo side project, which is also in a graphic novel format, focuses on a relationship between two people. It also involves a big blob. The story is far more forgiving in the visual realism that it demands because it's less about creating a believable environment and more about conveying a certain feeling. It plays well in my favor because my undeveloped technical skills are less conspicuous.

I'm frustrated with making sketches for Asian Girl Posse because AGP obviously cannot propel itself on expressionistic interior-shots of people's talking faces. AGP is an action comic that will demand a lot of awesome, dramatic, three-point perspective shots and people getting punched. And machinery. And other bad-ass shit. And as of right now, I AM NOT GOOD AT DRAWING THOSE KINDS OF THINGS. I think my current biggest frustration is seeing internal glimpses of the visual world that the storyline of AGP demands (this usually happens while I'm running or walking alone), but not quite having the drawing skills necessary to render it in its physical, glorious manifestation.

This is why AGP is happening at a snail's pace. AGP is completely out of my visual element. AGP is pointing a gun at my head every minute of my life reminding me that I am not drawing enough and I am not good enough.

But I'm not giving up just yet. I am not giving up on those brief glimpses that I can see in my mind's eye.

5 comments:

kimhouy said...

I know how you feel. Writing an action packed story about ninjas and guns with interesting visuals and plot points is a little different from my usual serving of boy/girl emotional relationship angst.

But I think we will prevail for a couple of reasons: We are (excuse the self-promotion) pretty smart. Also talented. Also, incredibly hot young girls. Also, once we have our minds wrapped around an idea, we tend to pursue it beyond any rhyme or reason to its complete execution.

Perhaps execution was a poor choice of word, in context. You know what I mean.

michael golamco said...

I give you guys respekt for creating something. Also if it's challenging, you guys are on the right track. If it was easy, you would be on the wrong track. And then I would take my respekt back and give it to the dog that skateboards.

Also if you want someone to work with, message me up anytime!

Yumi Sakugawa said...

I agree on everything that has been said, especially the incredibly hot young girls part.

Rick Kitagawa said...

Drawing is hard. It takes practice, practice, time, practice, more time, and more practice. And a shitload of reference materials. This is what I've really learned thus far from art school, and I'm only marginally better than I was before, and that's assuming I spent like 4 hours on one drawing.

I wish you two the best of luck, and michael golamco got it right: if it wasn't challenging, then you'd be on the wrong track.

Go Asian American comickers! Rock it!

Anonymous said...

THERE IS A DOG THAT SKATEBOARDS????!!!!