Saturday, July 21, 2007

Study, study, study, practice, practice, practice.

I had my laptop and sketchbook all ready for an intensive, three-hour session to work--both on AGP and a personal solo project-- at a wireless boba cafe that I frequent at way too much. But once I bought my Styrofoam cup of citron green tea and settled into my favorite table, I realized that I have forgotten my Snoopy pencil bag with all the respective drawing tools that I need. This made me very angry.

But all is not to waste. I have this book with me, which I bought from Borders a few days ago, which is a comic book instruction manual on how to draw perspectives. I love this book because it's both educational and fun, and not only that, teaches from a comic book artist perspective.

My basic drawing skills need a serious kick in the ass. The post-modern UCLA education hasn't exactly helped with the fact that I never received any formal drawing training in the classical sense of the word. I think I'm just going to have to do that a LOT from this point onward--play the piano scales, in the drawing sense, over and over and over, until I can move onto bigger and better things. Like samurai houses. And knife fights on a freeway overpass.

I also finally bit the bullet and bought a copy of The Watchmen. I look forward to immersing myself into it sometime this week.

--

If I don't have more drawing updates by the end of tomorrow, I owe someone a firstborn (not necessarily guaranteed to be my own.)


2 comments:

michael golamco said...

I wish I had more perspective... IN MY LIFE

All I know about drawing perspective is that if you draw the She Hulk standing perpendicular to the view of the frame, the boob that is further away from the viewer is supposed to be smaller than the one that is closer.

kimhouy said...

All I know about drawing perspective is that MIKE IS A NERD PERV.