Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The first drawing ever.



This very, very rough scrawl may have been done on jittery nerves due to two cups of coffee and one small pot of Moroccan mint tea. I promise you, dear reader, that there will be many more to come.

Earlier tonight, I had a lot of brilliant things to say about the state of the graphic novel, the sad lack of female graphic novelists and the marginalization of comic book culture in this day and age. Maybe that will come in a future post when I am more awake.

But for the time being, I will say that once upon a time, when I was an art student at UCLA who would have sporadic crises on how I wanted to contribute creatively to society at large, I asked myself if I would rather be a world-famous gallery artist or a world-famous comic book artist.

Somehow, it wasn't too hard for me to choose the latter over the former. It is funny how the most important self-epiphanies tend to be, in hindsight, the most obvious.

Kim and I have the creative equivalent of the Ironman Triathlon ahead of us. To paraphrase a Ray Bradbury quotation, we are throwing ourselves off a cliff and hoping that we will find a way to build our wings on the way down.

It will be grueling. It will be epic.

Most importantly, if all goes as plans, it will get us Hot Nerd Ass.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This blog will never be lacking in gratuitous photographs of the two creators.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure what when Kimmie is asked whether she wants to write for comic books or write for gallery paintings, she would pick comic books too.

Good stuff.